What was your journey to becoming a jewellery or gem expert?
[-]
  •
07-16-2014, 10:05 AM,
What was your journey to becoming a jewellery or gem expert?
I see a lot of jewellery, gem, and metal experts on this forum, and I'm just wondering how you came to where you are today? How did you start in the industry and what are you doing today?

After spending many months researching all sorts of gems and ring settings for my future engagement ring, I've learned a lot and have really come to appreciate the little things in a piece or gem that no one else notices. I would never be able to buy a piece from a typical chain jewellery storr and there's no way I can NOT pick my own stones now. I find myself reading this forum so often that I'm wondering if I might have stumbled upon a new hobby!

I'm really intrigued by all the experts on this forum and am curious! Please share your journey/story!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-16-2014, 11:34 AM,
RE: What was your journey to becoming a jewellery or gem expert?
I wouldn't consider myself an expert at all. Of course, I'm sure you weren't directing this question towards me anyway. Crackup

I started looking for info a few years ago when I was looking for an alternative engagement ring. I had seen moissanite in JcPenney many years before that. It intrigued me back then, so when it was time to get a wedding set, I started Googling. Initially, I came across WeddingBee. That led me to other forums. It didn't take too long to become an addict. Haha!

I have also learned so much from reading on this forum and a couple of others. Honestly, I didn't even know 1/8 of the things about jewelry that I do now. And I think I still have a lot to learn! That's the beauty of a hobby... You spend a lot of time researching and educating yourself on whatever it is!

[-]
  •
07-16-2014, 12:40 PM,
I started because I purchased a topaz (can't remember actually) ring at Loemens going out of business and wanted to learn more about it. Just reading these forums day in and day out for so many years (especially pricescope) educated me a lot. A few years ago - when TL and Chrono and LD were more active on the colored stones forum, there was a lot of learning to be done. I don't always agree with what they have to say, but learned a lot.

The more I got into it, and the more nuances that I learned, the more I liked it. I loved Frankieteh's seminal post about her three halo rings. Because through that post I learned all the little things people look for, all the little differences between Maul jewelry and artisinal jewelry. Now after looking at so many thousands of photos, I really developed my own knowledge and opinions on most things jewelry!

[-]
  •
07-16-2014, 12:43 PM,
I am far from an expert too. I was inspired by my MIL who has an amazing collection! Before I had gotten engaged, I wasn't really into jewelry and kept my obessesions to handbags and shoes. I have been able to expand my knowledge base of jewelry through others, the boards and reading articles/books. This is such a fun hobby to have (expensive, but fun). It is an ususual hobby from the norm, but I think that is what makes it unique and special! My girlfriends tell me I'm crazy for having love for so many pieces, but I think they are just as crazy for not! Wink

[-]
  •
07-16-2014, 02:27 PM,
I would not call myself an expert either, but my passion for this started in my 20s. Years before I even met my DH. I had enough knowledge then to know I would not ever be happy with a maul ring, but did not know enough to get the custom ring of my dreams. So a few years after getting married I started planning my upgrade. And then to a whole world of jewelry and gem knowledge, and eventually my job working with Schubach's.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
07-16-2014, 02:38 PM,
@jenncent - do you mind going into a bit more detail about how you came to work for Schubachs? It reckon it would be such a great job to have and wondered about how you came to work for them. Did you work on a few custom pieces first with them before becoming interested in working with them?
And what is the story behind this forum? Interesting stuff!
Popcorn

She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten
[-]
  •
07-16-2014, 02:42 PM,
Mmhm I would like to hear @jenncent's story too! PopcornPopcornPopcorn

[-]
  •
07-16-2014, 02:51 PM,
@Bling It On I know Jenn's story about going to work for Schubach's, but I will let her tell it since it is hers to tell.

The story behind the forum is pretty simple. @jenncent and I met over on the other forum and became good friends. Awhile after we met, we were talking about forums and different things that go on with them. One or both of us may have mentioned starting our own, but we weren't that serious about it. I mentioned it to @MrK one night over dinner and he said "I think you should your own." My response was something like "Yeah right. That seems like too much work." Haha! I really didn't take him seriously, but as soon as we got home that night, he started working on it. He owned a server back and put TFL on it. Then he set up the forum software, domain name and all the other stuff that goes with supporting a website and message boards. Within 24 hours, he handed this place over to us to work on. It was a lot of fun to get started. I think the hardest part was coming up with a name!

That's the shortest version I can give about how this place got started. I'll let @jenncent finish the other half on how it became Schubach's. Smile

[-]
  •
07-16-2014, 02:54 PM,
Woop woop @MrK is da bomb dot com!!!

[-]
  •
07-16-2014, 02:58 PM,
Oh and @ JooJooBee4 , @OoohShiny, @stardust , @BMV - you are all so lovely and helpful as moderators. Can you share your stories on how you became involved with TFL and now helping to run this wonderful community?

She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten