What will setting an L colour diamond in RG do?
[-]
  •
07-20-2014, 06:09 AM,
Question  What will setting an L colour diamond in RG do?
Hi lovely TFL'ers!

I need a bit of help! I am getting close to setting my L coloured AVC, but I have run into a bit of confusion.

I came upon and loved this ring:
https://leonmege.com/index.php/portfolio...ing-detail

Although my first love was to have a pink diamond RG shank but it is quite cost prohibitive, and so now I am thinking of a white melee RG shank instead. Where I have run into confusion is if I have a plat basket and RG shank, will the colour of the RG shank have an impact on the face up colour of the L diamond? (Everything I have read so far seems to indicate that setting an L coloured stone in RG could go either way... RG can make an L coloured stone appear more yellow or more white). But with a plat head, will the RG shank still have an impact on the appearance of the diamond?

Best pictures I have of my diamond:
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Your thoughts and feedback are much appreciated Thinking

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-20-2014, 08:27 AM,
RE: What will setting an L colour diamond in RG do?
I have zero idea! But if the diamond will be in a plat head, I would think it will have little impact from the RG. Or do you mean "overall" look?

Do you have any rose gold jewelry (e.g., a watch, bracelet, etc) you could just set the loose diamond on to see how it reacts? I did that when considering RG for my OMC.

If you don't, I would take it to a local jeweler to see it first hand. Most jewelers and mall stores have some RG pieces you could probably do this with.

[-]
  •
07-20-2014, 10:01 AM,
I think rose gold will make it appear whiter. It seems to be that way for diamonds.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
07-20-2014, 10:11 AM,
My leaf ring was moissy but the white gold head made the stone appear whiter and the rose gold did not affect the color of the it. In rings that the stone is set directly in rose gold I think it definitely affects the color. I love that LM setting!

[-]
  •
07-20-2014, 01:14 PM,
I had an M (egl) diamond and stuck it next to rose gold and it oddly appeared more...green. Not more yellow, or more brown, but green. Weirdest thing, probably just that stone! In my research travels for the same thing, I did find a couple people who did the same, lower color diamonds in rose gold, over on PS.

[-]
  •
07-20-2014, 01:23 PM,
(07-20-2014, 01:14 PM)SparkleDancer Wrote: I had an M (egl) diamond and stuck it next to rose gold and it oddly appeared more...green. Not more yellow, or more brown, but green. Weirdest thing, probably just that stone! In my research travels for the same thing, I did find a couple people who did the same, lower color diamonds in rose gold, over on PS.

I think this is the case with rose gold and moissanite sometimes. If there is any green in the stone, it's going to look more green when the stone is next to red (rose gold). Using a white head/prongs should do a pretty good job of eliminating that. In my PS searches, I haven't seen it as often with diamonds. Though, I am sure it does happen at times.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
07-20-2014, 03:15 PM,
Pretty LM setting! My gut tells me that the contrast of the rose gold shank against the bright cool platinum would make the diamond's perceived color look whiter, but it can be hard to predict without actually seeing the stone and the metals together. I agree with everyone that says that the head will have more of an impact on the color than the shank though.

I have two OEC moissies set in rose gold (one bezel pendant, one ring) and thankfully neither of those stones exhibit a "greenish" tinge - though they absolutely display some buttery/yellow warmth. I am starting to mull over potential designs for an everyday e-ring and I wonder how much of a whitening impact - if any - a white gold basket/undergallery would have on a stone that was still wrapped in an RG bezel.

[-]
  •
07-20-2014, 09:28 PM,
From what I have read so far, it's almost always safest to set warm diamonds in white metal.

http://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytal...94169.html

[-]
  •
07-20-2014, 10:11 PM,
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your comments and views given my situation. I am in Australia and don't have the stone with me. It is with GOG, and I would like the stone to be set in the US before being shipped to me. I am currently speaking to some vendors to about the setting and have also asked them the same question. I am waiting to hear back from them...

(07-20-2014, 09:28 PM)IceBling Wrote: From what I have read so far, it's almost always safest to set warm diamonds in white metal.

http://www.pricescope.com/forum/rockytal...94169.html

IceBling, that is the thread I read that started bothering me about the RG shank.

Still unsure as to what I will do.

[-]
  •
07-20-2014, 11:32 PM,
I have set an L OEC in unplated 18k white gold and LOVED it. In rose gold, when you get to L and lower colors, the effect tends to be more muted and the stone looks warmer, perhaps due to the contrast of the yellow tones in a lower colored stone against the pink of the rose gold. I prefer warm stones in white metal if you want brightness and pop, in rose gold if you want more of an understated melted vanilla and strawberry ice cream sundae sort of effect, if that makes sense, lol?

Here are some pics that may help:

GIA L OEC in 18k unplated white gold, looked really white for an L -
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Si...&k=5rnNNsq

This was a GIA I color and it looks quite warm in the rose gold -
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Si...&k=Ngxm5fw

Erica D.
Owner/Designer
Love Affair Diamonds