What would you do?
[-]
  •
07-28-2013, 07:55 AM,
What would you do?
I have a bezel set diamond solitare pendant listed on the bistro. I cannot find the paperwork on the diamond, though I am still trying (tearing apart the house). So here's the the question, what are my options if I can't find the paperwork? I want to be able to give good accurate information to any potential buyers. However, I'm no expert. Short of saying it sure is prudy, white and sparkly I can't offer much else. The last thing I want is to misrepresent. I'd rather not spend a lot of money for an appraisal, but I beginning to feel as if this might be my only option. It is a beautiful diamond; I just dont wear it and never will. I have a memorial necklace honoring my daughter that I never take off. The necklace was a gift from an old boyfriend. I was there when he bought it so I know for sure that it is a real diamond. Now, I'm getting off track. Anyway, I would like to use the funds for another project so I'm getting rid of the stuff I don't wear.
Cut to the chase.... Does anyone have any suggestions? Is an appraisal my only option short of selling for way less than its worth. If I had to take a huge loss, it wouldn't make sense to sell at all. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ladies!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-28-2013, 08:26 AM,
RE: What would you do?
IMO appraisals are overrated (and oftentimes over inflated) when it comes to selling. They're a good thing to have if a piece is stolen so that you can get replacement value, that is if you have insurance Big Grin It may make they buyer *feel* like they're getting a better deal because it has an appraisal. Appraisals aren't cheap, though. I wouldn't do it.

Is this the pendant in question?

http://www.diamondbistro.com/category/19...ndant.html

We all usually sell stuff for way less than we want to Cry such is the life of a sparklie addict Insane

[-]
  •
07-28-2013, 08:42 AM,
Got any friends who are GIA trained? I'm not a pro, but I took the course a few years ago, and I do stuff like this for friends without a qualm. It's in that space between "making enough money to take on the risks of the stuff of strangers" and "enthusiastic amateur" where you can usually find the people who don't insist on payment but can still be helpful, regardless of speciality, in my experience.

[-]
  •
07-28-2013, 08:52 AM,
Yes, that's the pendant. I feel the same about appraisals too. I had a potential buyer asking about the color and clarity. I'm not sure how to answer that question and be accurate. I would hate for someone to be disappointed. Along with what you said regarding price... It's tough weighing whether or not its worth letting it go at a lower price... Such is the life of a sparkle addict... Sigh!!! But if I'm not wearing it and haven't for a very loooooong time, is it worth holding onto???? Tough choices we have ;-)

[-]
  •
07-28-2013, 09:56 AM,
Circe, I do have a friend who is a gemologist, but she's out of state. I wouldn't have thought of that. This is exactly why I posted the question; to find the idea I wouldn't have thought of myself.

[-] The following 3 users Like stardust's post:
  • MerryBlues, MicheleZ, Purdy
07-28-2013, 10:01 AM,
Circe is the brains of our operation.

[-]
  •
07-28-2013, 04:23 PM,
Hi! Your pendant is lovely! I think in your shoes I would probably skip the appraisal. You could try casually asking a local jeweler his/her thoughts on the color-after you browse the merchandise a bit perhaps Wink Since it is bezeled it will might be tough to estimate the color accurately without removing the stone though. For clarity- a lot of people just want to know if a stone is eyeclean. Good luck! It looks like a pretty stone- you could always find it a buddy and make earrings...

[-]
  •
07-28-2013, 05:19 PM,
Thank you, that is good advice. It is eye clean, I just feel silly using the term. That's exactly what it is though. It's eye clean, very white... All that good stuff. Thanks again for all of your advice. You've all been very helpful.

[-]
  •
07-28-2013, 05:33 PM,
FWIW, you're more than likely going to take a huge loss. Sad

If you have an idea and can conservatively guess the stats I'd google around to see what a new, uncert'd diamond would cost unset. I'd then probably cut that cost in half and then add $150-$200 for the chain/bezel.

That would be how *I* would do it. Good luck!

[-]
  •
07-28-2013, 05:34 PM,
disclaimer: I also tend to underprice things for a very quick sale, so YMMV. Smile