What would you do? Wonky OEC's
[-]
  •
01-10-2016, 08:24 AM,
What would you do? Wonky OEC's
So during the black Friday deals I got a pair of Classic OEC moissy's 5.5mm for a screaming good deal.  We are talking I got the PAIR for way less then the cost of just one OEC!!  I wanted to have them made into a pair of studs.  The color is great actually BUT they are the cuts are a bit wonky and the culets are different sizes. Sometimes I look at them and they really do look like old cut OEC diamonds, but then the perfectionist in me comes out.    I have until the end of the month to return them, but I keep going back and forth, keep them, return them.  I could never set them in a ring together, that would drive me CRAZY!! But as earrings you don't see both together...why am I trying to find an excuse to keep these stones! UGHHHH!! 

The pictures I took aren't any better then the quick video so here it is (remember to adjust the quality to 1080):

What would you do????

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
01-10-2016, 11:03 AM,
RE: What would you do? Wonky OEC's
Ugh.  I'm sorry, but that would drive me nuts.  I couldn't keep them. The one with the large culet is really pretty though!  Would they let you exchange the other for the same price, on the off-chance you get a better one?

[-]
  •
01-10-2016, 11:25 AM,
I would not send them back because of the 5.5mm size and they are in stud earrings. You got a great deal.

[-]
  •
01-10-2016, 01:08 PM,
The cut, color and sparkle are pretty on both, but one has a large culet (my preference). Is it really that obvious in 5.5mm? on a close up video, the cut is difference is clearly visible. For larger stones I would def. return and would want a pair that matches better. But for 5.5mm, I may keep. It would depend what they look like from a distance. Do you have a distance shot?

[-]
  •
01-10-2016, 01:25 PM,
(01-10-2016, 11:25 AM)idahosubaru Wrote: I would not send them back because of the 5.5mm size and they are in stud earrings.  You got a great deal.

Yeah that! On the ear, who'll notice? I wouldn't and I'm sure no one else is as obsessed as we are anyway!  Crackup

[-]
  •
01-10-2016, 01:38 PM,
For earrings they are ok. If they were to be sidestones heck no.

I love the large culet on the right stone- just lovely!

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
01-10-2016, 01:51 PM,
I like them both and think they would make great earrings! It's not going to be noticeable from a distance in earrings that they are not cut exactly the same, esp in the small size that they are. I say go for it and make earrings! Smile

[-] The following 1 user Likes CricketBug's post:
  • GemmaBella
01-10-2016, 02:14 PM,
My 6mm OEC diamond studs are different from each other, cut-wise. One has a larger culet, and a weensy carbon spot. The other is VS, w/ a tiny culet. The differences would be very obvious with a loupe (10x), yet on the ear, all that's visible is sparkle-sparkle-fire!

I think the slight difference makes your OECs more old-cut diamond-like. If it were me, I'd keep 'em and do the studs. There is no way they can seen at the same time—your face separates them.  Tongue

[-] The following 1 user Likes GemmaBella's post:
  • CricketBug
01-10-2016, 02:48 PM,
"your face separates them"....LOL...I was thinking this too, hehe. Cute way of putting it.

[-]
  •
01-10-2016, 05:11 PM,
Yup, I'd go for it since they will be earrings and nobody will ever notice the cutlet differences.  Also agree that in diamond pec earrings that is probably not super uncommon.