Where to buy small diamond studs?
[-]
  •
12-16-2012, 10:22 AM,
Where to buy small diamond studs?
Help please! My co-worker asked me to help him buy diamond studs for his girl. He wants to spend around $500-$600ish. I was hoping someone here can recommend ANYWHERE that he could get the most bang for his buck. What carat weight will he be looking at for that price that will sparkle nicely? 1/2ct? I am worried he is going to be disappointed at how small these may be. His girl is a good friend of mine and he is clueless on this, so I want to do all I can to get her the most fabulous earrings he can afford.

I told him I have the PERFECT group to ask for help...you guys! Any and all help is greatly appreciated ladies!

No, I didn't lose my mind. It got scared and ran away.
Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
12-16-2012, 11:14 AM,
RE: Where to buy small diamond studs?
I got my studs from this site, they were a reputable company. Here is 0.5 ctw, I wouldn't go lower than H SI 1/2. They have different options he can look at, but tell him not to go with the lowest quality. I got G SI and they're very nice. I never cleaned them in 3 years and they are very sparkly. Gross I know, don't judge me! I also wear them occasionally Hide

Here is what $600 can get you:
http://www.diamondstudsonly.com/Details_...P&shape=BR

Here are all of the different options (looks like no more G available), tell him to stay in the top 3 columns for quality:

http://www.diamondstudsonly.com/Diamond-...High=30000

[-]
  •
12-16-2012, 12:01 PM,
Thanks so much MoreSparkles! No worries on the no cleaning and it says a lot about the quality of the diamonds.

Wouldn't you know it that exactly what he needs is sold out! I wonder if I can get him to go up to the next price of $779? Hmmmm.

Which setting do you have? The martini style basket always looks like it won't sit flush on the ear to me.

I have always been curious on how the martini style sits, so please anyone chime in here.

[-]
  •
12-16-2012, 01:38 PM,
I have 4mm moissy studs and they are not too small. Wink Petite yes, but still a decent size.

I think in 4mm, 4 prong baskets are fine too. The stones are smaller, so not too deep.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
12-16-2012, 01:59 PM,
Well that's awesome if you, Jenn, believe they won't be too small at 1/2 ct tw, because....well, you know! I was having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of 1/4ct earring, honestly.That makes me feel like a million times better!! I also usually prefer bigger stones like you.

Please excuse my ignorance, but is a prong basket aka a martini-style basket?

Any other suggestions on vendors/sites? The above vendor is sold out in my friend's price range.

[-]
  •
12-16-2012, 02:35 PM,
They are not huge by any means, but when I first put my 4mm moissy studs on I did not tell DH I got them, and he noticed withing about 5 seconds of looking at me...and he is not the most observant. So, I think they are a great, realistic size. I don't know if you watch Grey's, but Christina has studs every episode that look to be about .25ct each and I always notice them, lol.

The martinis will sit the lowest to the ear, as the culet is set super low in the mount. For larger studs, like 7mm or larger, the stones are deeper, so that .5mm may make them more comfortable to wear daily. But on smaller stones like these, I think the 4 prong basket, like the picture on that site, are perfectly comfortable.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
12-16-2012, 02:56 PM,
Thanks Jenn. I just hate it when the earring hangs down and doesn't sit flush. But I've only had that problem with larger ones so it probably is a non-issue with the size we are looking at.

What do you think about SI1 or SI2s in an H color or better? I found some on another site with a lot of options. I just hate that I have no idea how well cut these are.Huh

http://www.diamondstudswholesale.com/dia...e/p/3.html

[-]
  •
12-16-2012, 03:03 PM,
I love my martini studs and only take them out to clean. They're larger (1.5 ctw) and I don't have an issue with drooping.

[-]
  •
12-16-2012, 03:07 PM,
I think is great, and would do SI1. SI2 is iffy, so you just never know. SI1 should still be bright and sparkly and get lots of attention Smile

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
12-16-2012, 03:11 PM,
Thanks Jube! This is great to know! I am almost wondering if the point in the basket where it meets the post may almost allow the earring to almost sit super deep (in a good way) and the point almost goes in to the hole a tiny bit. That must be why Jenn said they will sit the lowest. My initial impression was wrong & was actually the opposite.

Hmmmm...now to try and guess how to buy them from a reputable vendor, sight unseen. The last vendor I found has "excellent" on every single stones' cut. Idk. I would feel like I could trust that grading more if some said fair or good, rather than just "excellent" on every single one.