Why name the ring?
[-]
  •
05-28-2013, 09:11 PM,
Why name the ring?
I ask in a completely nonjudgemental fashion - I have a tendency to assign values to jewelry, myself, depending on what's on my mind when I buy it. This one is for plenty, that one is for luck, this other one is for humility/wisdon ... whatever's appropriate. But I notice a lot of people these days are giving proper names - Jane, Wilhelmina, Helen Gurley-Brown.

(Okay, not that last one, really, but now I want to go out and get myself a REALLY OSTENTATIOUS cocktail ring just so I can name it after her.)

What significance does it hold for you? Is it just because it makes it easier for reference on jewelry boards when you have numerous solitaires, or is there more to it? Just random curiosity ....

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
05-28-2013, 10:04 PM,
RE: Why name the ring?
I'm excited to hear answers to this, as I'm one who doesn't name my rings or other pieces. They get identifying labels by default, and only because I refer to them here on the boards. Away from here, it wouldn't even occur to me to identify one from the other because no one else has conversations with me about my jewelry. Cry

So I have Stack, which is comprised of Round Eternity, Beat to Hell, 3mm Solitaire, and Twist. Then I have Marquise Eternity, Beefy (wide solitaire) and Hockey Rink (larger cushion).

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
05-28-2013, 10:10 PM,
Heheheheh - okay, those names are AWESOME. Descriptive, effective, succinct, and to the point!

[-] The following 1 user Likes Dragonfly's post:
  • Hadley
05-28-2013, 10:53 PM,
(05-28-2013, 10:04 PM)Hadley Wrote: I'm excited to hear answers to this, as I'm one who doesn't name my rings or other pieces. They get identifying labels by default, and only because I refer to them here on the boards. Away from here, it wouldn't even occur to me to identify one from the other because no one else has conversations with me about my jewelry. Cry

So I have Stack, which is comprised by Round Eternity, Beat to Hell, 3mm Solitaire, and Twist. Then I have Marquise Eternity, Beefy (wide solitaire) and Hockey Rink (larger cushion).

I think I said this before, but here I go again! I love your stack, the meaning behind every single ring and you can rock them !!!!!!!!!!!!!! You already have special name. I refer to your rings as the Hadley's stack.

"Don't worry, be happy!"
[-]
  •
05-28-2013, 11:02 PM,
I only have 2 rings with names. They were the only 2 special enough to give names to. The only ones I felt compelled to name. So that's why.

[-]
  •
05-28-2013, 11:23 PM,
I have never named any of my jewellery either. I am one of those people who do not names cars and things too, and I hate calling people by silly nicknames so I think I'm just boring like that LOL. I feel silly giving inanimate objects names, but that may change when I get my new set... Idk.

[-] The following 1 user Likes MoreSparkles!'s post:
  • BMV
05-29-2013, 01:00 AM,
I tried naming a ring, but it wasn't really my thing. Personally I call them - work ring and weekend ring (in my head Smile). That being said, I refer to other people's rings by name without a second thought... Strange huh?

[-]
  •
05-29-2013, 03:33 AM,
I've only named one, my recent one - Seraphina. The setting is special to me. But be honest I doubt I will refer to it like that. I wanted to try the name thing, and I like the name I picked but it's just not my thing I think. Maybe I will use it for easy referencing. I don't name my designer shoes or bags, so this just feels odd to me lol. But hey, I tried! (and I easily refer to others' rings by their names hah, strange!)

[-]
  •
05-29-2013, 05:11 AM,
I name most of my rings - the ones that I love and have a personality Big Grin And of course, if they have sentimental meaning to me, they must be named, they must I say!

I don't name every single one of them or I'd end up having to use Wynonna Judd or Helen Gurley-Brown as I'd run outta names....Plus, I have too much time on my hands...obviously Nyanya

[-]
  •
05-29-2013, 05:58 AM,
I wasn't the naming kind either but Isis just seemed appropriate for my ring (Isis is the name of my female standard schnauzer - I call her Izzy). The blue radiant will be called "Sheetcake" because that's what the girls on the board named her (lol). The ring I got from Olive is called "FU" because it is a statement ring I wear on my middle finger. I have not named any other rings. I'll probably name my pear spinel - but only once it is set.