Yellow Gold ring turning my finger gray/black. Help!
[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 08:02 AM,
Yellow Gold ring turning my finger gray/black. Help!
My engagement ring and a vintage ring both turn my finger black, but a third yellow gold ring I have does not. What gives?

Has anyone has this issues and been able to fix it? It's supposedly a sign of anemia, according to a lot of people online, but that's an old wive's tail. Apparently my skin is reacting with a metal, possibly silver, and is turning black because of that. It's not an allergic reaction.

I obviously don't want a black ring around my ring. What can I do? I am having the ring remade for other reasons. Can yellow gold be made without silver? Apparently silver is the most likely culprit.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 08:24 AM,
RE: Yellow Gold ring turning my finger gray/black. Help!
Oh no! This happens to my husband when he wears silver. Maybe somebody else here knows about how they allow YG?

[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 08:38 AM,
This happens to me when I wear 14kt yellow gold around my neck....It never happens with my yellow gold rings though.. weird I know!!!.... just happens my necklaces..doesn't happen with Bracelets either.... hence.. I sold all my necklaces..... that black ring around my neck was gross!!.... it never happened years back as I wore my necklaces daily... even slept in them when I was a teenager..... It just started the past 5 years or so... so all my yellow gold necklaces are gone....:-(.....I thought it might be hormonal things within me changing...and a reaction to the gold..since I am approaching 50..

[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 10:11 AM,
What about 18k yellow?

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 10:31 AM,
I've never heard of a gold alloy being made without silver.

Though, it could also be the copper.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/jewelryche...-Green.htm

[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 01:03 PM,
(03-12-2014, 10:11 AM)jenncent Wrote: What about 18k yellow?

I don't like the look of 18k. It's way too yellow for me.

I think it only turns my finger gray when I get it wet, and if I use soap, lotion etc. I can keep it dry, I suppose...

[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 02:49 PM,
hmmm, I do not know what the solution is then...

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 03:46 PM,
(03-12-2014, 02:49 PM)jenncent Wrote: hmmm, I do not know what the solution is then...

I don't know if it's a fluke, but I've been drying my finger off after washing my hands and I haven't had any discoloration. Normally I mostly dry my hands, but have dampness around and under my ring.

[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 03:56 PM,
I would keep trying that for a while to make sure. They say you can paint the inside of the shank with nail polish, but personally, I would switch metals before I did that to my ering.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
03-12-2014, 04:13 PM,
(03-12-2014, 03:46 PM)always Wrote:
(03-12-2014, 02:49 PM)jenncent Wrote: hmmm, I do not know what the solution is then...

I don't know if it's a fluke, but I've been drying my finger off after washing my hands and I haven't had any discoloration. Normally I mostly dry my hands, but have dampness around and under my ring.

Think of summertime and sweating...it can be pretty hard to keep the insides of rings 100% dry... if in fact the dampness is contributing to the reaction.

If it were me, I'd buy a cheap copper bracelet and a something pure silver after that to see if you can isolate the culprit before remaking a ring you might react to.