colored moissanite FAQ
[-]
  •
11-16-2013, 08:40 PM,
colored moissanite FAQ
I know the color for non-native colored moissy (such as all the pinks so far) is a coating--are there any conditions the owner of such moissies should beware of? ultrasonic cleaning, setting, resizing, heating, cleaning solutions, etc...

I would love to know!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
11-16-2013, 09:48 PM,
RE: colored moissanite FAQ
I believe you need to be careful with heat but I think the rest is fine. But @jenncent would know best!

[-]
  •
11-16-2013, 09:49 PM,
Out of curiosity, what is native colored moissy? I thought they were all a coating.

[-]
  •
11-16-2013, 10:09 PM,
I believe native colored moisy is a color that develops in the moissy while it's being created vs one that is coated with a layer of something that changes the color of the stone after polishing.

As for cleaning coated moissy, the person at Schubach's who I spoke to when I bought my barely pink instructed me to never soak the stone and never put it in an ultrasonic cleaner. Also, I believe she said no amonia, no chemicals at all and no hot HOT water. Just a mild soap and distilled water, soft SOFT brush, rinse in distilled water.

I know on person who's BP moissy stone lost some color after having her ring rhodium dipped. And hav "heard" of many coated moissys losing their color. I do not know what caused the others to lose their coatings/color.

[-]
  •
11-16-2013, 10:11 PM,
Correct, we do not recommend heating them. We also do not recommend ammonia products for cleansing.

Native moissy is moissy that is not enhanced at all. There are various greens, some greys, and blue yellow. However the blue and yellow are being produced over seas, not by C&C, so patent issues apply. So it is hard to get right now. But come 2015, things will change.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • mewt
11-16-2013, 10:13 PM,
I have not heard of many people losing the coating. We had one batch that was off, and some of the stones from that batch had to be redone. Heat is generally the culprit. Or polishing, if you have the prongs redone etc.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-] The following 2 users Like Munster Cat's post:
  • Lorrissey, sparkletiger
11-16-2013, 10:20 PM,
I love C&C's native deep blue moissanite LoveLove

BTD are selling native green, blue and yellow moissanites (same restrictions apply as for AG sales). I've read that they might do pinks as well in the future.

[-]
  •
11-16-2013, 10:35 PM,
I am pretty sure all those native colours are being produced elsewhere. We had a sample of the same blues; at least they looked the same, lol.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
11-16-2013, 10:36 PM,
Wow that is really sparkly and pretty!

[-]
  •
11-16-2013, 10:41 PM,
Is heat an issue for non-colored moissanite?