cost for extra points
[-]
  •
08-31-2014, 07:49 PM,
cost for extra points
So we all know that diamonds leap in price every time you pass certain marks. Under a carat is going to be quite a bit cheaper than over a carat.

I am looking at a stone for our anniversary this year. I'm in between
a .94 VVS2 H (triple x)
a 1.06 VVS1 I (triple x)

Visually they look the same-on my hand and to my eye. There is a difference of $2k.

What would you choose and why?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
08-31-2014, 07:55 PM,
RE: cost for extra points
Happy Anniversary. Smile If they were the same visually, I would choose the less expensive stone and spend the $2K on something else.

[-]
  •
08-31-2014, 08:23 PM,
The whiter one.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
08-31-2014, 08:36 PM,
The smaller one is whiter also. Score! If they look the same, can you spend the $2k extra on the setting instead? Or take your hubby on a fantastic anniversary weekend?

She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten
[-]
  •
08-31-2014, 08:37 PM,
The cheaper one, and put the $2000 towards a dream setting!

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
08-31-2014, 08:44 PM,
I agree, if they look the same, go for the smaller one and use the two k on a setting! Very nice, can't wait to see. Happy anniversary.

[-]
  •
08-31-2014, 08:48 PM,
Seems unanimous. lol.

Dh and I have been turning this over in our heads. I keep trying for THE ONE and failing. I just want to be content for crying out loud! So there's something HE wants to do for me and something I want to do for me. The aim is to do 'em both. Heart

I denied him his wish initially, so I'm letting him run with this one. For his portion I gave him some pointers. He's doing well so far (with a lot of armchair quarterbacking.) Angel

[-]
  •
08-31-2014, 08:59 PM,
If your mind is ok being just shy of a carat then I owuld not spend the extra, but IF it is going to bug you and you have in your head that you want 1ct, I would spend the 2k. Because an extra 2k now is better then not loving it later. I can be weird like that. With my original I could have had my F VS 1.07 or a DVS .96. I wanted the 1ct mind clean thing so I went with the warmer stone. Visually, I could see a size difference though.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
08-31-2014, 09:15 PM,
@stardust - I hear ya! As you know I'm hoping my 5 stone diamond band completes the forever set for me. How many attempts have you made this far? I'm on set #4 with this new 5 stone and I've only been married 5 years!

$2k is a lot extra to go with your dream setting by the way, are you going to share your plans for the setting? We are all very interested!

She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten
[-]
  •
08-31-2014, 09:26 PM,
OMG. I haven't kept track because I don't want to know. 2 dozen attempts? A bit more maybe? Several diamonds, lots of moissies and 2 or 3 attempts with cz's.

*MY* dream at this point is flipping between the scroll and the Beth setting from Schubach's....but hand forged. I know enough about myself at this point to know that the weight of the settings means a lot to me.