eBay China pearls?
[-]
  •
10-04-2013, 11:37 AM,
eBay China pearls?
Ok, so stalking here makes a girl crazy. I want all the pearls, ALL of them!! Gah, but I don't have it in the budget ATM Cry. Not really supposed to buy any shiny for myself until after Christmas *pout*. But, if some of these eBay vendors that sell 'em cheap are worth while, maybe I can find a little bit of cash to scratch the itchAngel..
Has anyone had any experience with the inexpensive China based eBay vendors? Is it worth trying, or should I save my pennies and try to be patient for January?

Thanks for any info/input/suggestions Big Grin

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Pearlescence.co.uk's post:
  • MrsK, mrsmay07
10-04-2013, 11:53 AM,
RE: eBay China pearls?
It might be said that I have a vested interest, but honestly, I have seen so many posts from buyers who have been massively let down by eBay pearl purchases which were either nothing like the photo, not remotely what was described, or just didn't arrive at all.
Some other members may suggest sellers with whom they have had a good trading arrangement and that's great, but if you don't get such recommends I do recommend you stick to one of the online vendors.
I go to Hong Kong to buy stock, so I am pretty much buying from the same sources as many of these sellers. I know what prices are reasonable. Just as I cringe when I see a tv seller here selling akoya necklaces for £40 or so. I know they will be so short grown they have the thinnest nacre and will wear in months (I have warned him!) You simply cannot buy a strand of decent akoya pearls for under £100. You cannot.
With pearls, you get what you pay for, and if they seem to cheap to be true they probably are.

[-] The following 1 user Likes BMV's post:
  • MrsK
10-04-2013, 11:55 AM,
I think it's worh trying as long as you keep an open mind about it. You will not be getting the best quality and in some cases will not be getting what is advertised. You get what you pay for, essentially. So if you're happy spending a bit without worrying, then go ahead!

[-] The following 1 user Likes stardust's post:
  • MrsK
10-04-2013, 12:06 PM,
It seems there is a lot of bait and switch that goes on with pearls from China. Also, read carefully-there are quite a lot of shell pearls which are NOT the same thing is freshwater or saltwater pearls.

If you're going for the look, then I'd say go for it. If you're looking for quality jewelry at a bargain then stick with known vendors who stand behind their products.

[-]
  •
10-04-2013, 12:09 PM,
Thanks for the replies so far. I am not expecting quality, I just want to play around with the look. I would be annoyed though, if they sent something that looked nothing like the pictures from the listing.

[-] The following 1 user Likes stardust's post:
  • mrsmay07
10-04-2013, 12:11 PM,
that does seem to happen frequently. Look for listings that tell you you'll receive the item pictured. That should reduce the chance of that happening.

[-] The following 2 users Like jenncent's post:
  • MrsK, mrsmay07
10-04-2013, 12:12 PM,
Some people here have had luck with ebay pearls from Chinese vendors, like JJB, I think. Smile But generally speaking, the whole "you get what you pay for" is true. If they are selling "$800 Tahitians" for $40, they likely aren't Tahitians, but rather dyed freshies. Wink

Check out the pearl vendor recommendations. Some more trusted ebay vendors are listed there I think.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
10-04-2013, 12:55 PM,
Thanks, one of the sellers I was looking at is mentioned in the recommended vendor thread, justice-shop, this is what I have saved from their store;

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Beautiful-AAA-11-...b6a&_uhb=1

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

So, noob question here, but if they're dyed, will the dye bleed?

[-]
  •
10-04-2013, 12:59 PM,
(10-04-2013, 12:06 PM)stardust Wrote: If you're going for the look, then I'd say go for it. If you're looking for quality jewelry at a bargain then stick with known vendors who stand behind their products.

I completely agree with Star on this comment! I have both cheap ones from eBay and then super nice ones from CC! I like both of them, but you can definitely see the quality difference. If you don't really care for the kind of pearls or what they are made of and like the look of the pearls, but not the high price tag I would go with the eBay ones. On the otherhand, I do think it is nice to own a few strands of high quality pearls Smile

[-]
  •
10-04-2013, 01:21 PM,
Those are pretty! But not AAA. So take that with a grain of salt. But they look like they have a nice satiny lustre to them. For the price, I think you could have some pretty pearls.

Dye should not come off or fade, if done properly.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website