emerald project in the works
[-]
  •
12-16-2013, 06:55 PM,
emerald project in the works
I just received the first sets of my CADs from my jeweler today. I didn't really give him much direction because I wasn't sure how I wanted to set the stone, but here is what he came up with.

I am not thrilled with it, but do like some of the elements. The entire ring looks really bulky, which I do not like, and the basket has a celtic like design on it, which is not for me. I like the split shank, but want more delicate proportions, and the 'pear' shape inbetween the split shank I'm still not sure how I feel about it.. Ugh I am kind of confused!

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
12-16-2013, 06:57 PM,
RE: emerald project in the works
I love it but without those shapes between the split shank as they busy it up too much. Maybe if those were out you would like it more? CADs are bulkier too than the end result. I get a MC2 vibe from the ends of the split shank also which I love their stuff.

[-]
  •
12-16-2013, 07:04 PM,
@ JooJooBee4 - i am going to be following your posts religiously as i have my own emerald project in the works and am a bit confused also. I think i have decided on setting but not sure what to do about centre stone. Do you mind me asking where your are sourcing your emerald centre stone from?
Re the setting above, i adore the split shank! About getting more delicate proportions - do you think removing the pears will make it look more delicate? I think the celtic design on the basket is pretty, but yes you're right - it may not be for everybody.
So excited for you!

[-]
  •
12-16-2013, 07:52 PM,
@ JooJooBee4 - I think this is a beautiful place to start, that's for sure. I agree that the pears are a bit unnecessary and the ring is a bit bulkier than what I have seen you sporting in your amazing and extensive colored gem collection. I have to admit I like the substantial setting with the BIG OLD emerald, though, and it's angular clean lines. Actually, I sort of love it!!! The celtic design is pretty but not sure how it fits with the rest of the ring.

[-]
  •
12-16-2013, 08:04 PM,
well, I think it's absolutely gorgeous, I love love the pears (are they pears or two rounds?) and I don't really see that shape as keltic, but I would probably just change the keltic things into swoopy v's if I didn't like it. (or get rid of it entirely and add pave to the prongs)

I think it's important to remember that CADS show more metal than the real thing. The prongs are the only thing I would consider bulky, and those could be lightened with a talented bench.

If this is totally not what you like, I would probably find some inspirational pieces that are what you like to convey to the CAD designer your vision, as I do think this is a really pretty iteration of the style it's trying to achieve.

[-]
  •
12-16-2013, 08:13 PM,
Egads woman, that is absolutely stunning as is!!

So i am no help at all lol.

[-]
  •
12-16-2013, 08:30 PM,
Thanks all for your comments! I am going to draw up some of my own. I think part of me wants a super thin bezel with a halo around it since I am a halo girl at heart, but then I try and think I should diversify! Haha serious problem over here.

I do agree if I take out the pears it will make the design less busy. Perhaps, they can spuble scaled down so I can get more of a defined airline. I do love the pear sidestones though!

@becleeham my emerald is an Avarra! Here is the original ring that I'm taking it out of. The setting is just way too delicate for me and high profile. It's 12x9 so some serious finger coverage for me!!

[-]
  •
12-16-2013, 08:52 PM,
I really like the design!!!! I just think it is too low set. I would raise the basket a little, to make it a little more elegant. But I love the pears in the middle of the split shank. But maybe I would add a thin bezel around them.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
12-17-2013, 12:50 AM,
Beautiful huge glowy honking emerald! Heart This is going to be a fantastic ring Popcorn

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
Oscar Wilde
[-]
  •
12-17-2013, 03:48 AM,
I would pave those claws if it was mine Smile