engagement ring shopping
[-]
  •
09-27-2015, 03:28 PM,
engagement ring shopping
Hello everyone! New to this site. My boyfriend and I are planning on getting married next November. This is number 2 for both of us. Looking into a diamond alternative...and the more I read the more confused I am getting.Confused
I have researched Diamond Nexus, lab mined diamonds and I have recently come across the Amora. We are both firefighters living on a moderate income and cant see spending $8000 on a ring. As with many, I would like something that looks like the real deal but is environmentally friendly. (no I will not be wearing my ring at work) Any suggestions??

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
09-27-2015, 04:43 PM,
RE: engagement ring shopping
First welcome to the board! Next stay FAR FAR away from Diamond Nexus which are selling WAY overpriced CZ's as lab diamonds. First and foremost you need to be aware that there are lots of unscrupulous businesses and individuals who will sell you a CZ and call it a lab diamond. So please do your homework and buy from someplace reputable. Real lab grown diamonds are only available from a few reputable sources and they are diamonds through and through and should come with a certification from a reputable gemological lab as well.

That being said, you are starting to looking at a great time since the market for Silicon Carbide Gemstones has just opened way up with Charles and Colvard's patent expiration on Moissanite. Silicone Carbide Gemstones wonderful alternatives and quite frankly 99% of anyone seeing one of these stones in your ring will never know they are not looking at a diamond. They have fooled appraisers and jewelers. They are available from the highest rating D-IF all the way down to lower colored stones with any variety of inclusions and have a cost anywhere from just over $1000 to low hundreds per carat. Much nicer then the thousands per carat for diamonds. Any branded version of these stones whether it be Better Than Diamonds Amora Gem or Charles and Colvard's Forever One, Forever Brilliant or Classic Moissanite will look far better than your average mall diamond. In my opinion. I personally wear an e-ring with an Amora Gem set in platinum.

Then there is also the most cost effect option, which is getting a well cut CZ. This will fair very well against a diamond, however it is its perfection that generally gives it away. They are starting to become available in "almost colorless and slightly tinted" on the diamond color scale though, which help their believe-ability. They are only dollars per carat but are easily scratched and will need replacing as they wear. But a great alternative for someone really not wanting to spend a lot for their rings. My first e-ring was CZ's set in 14K white gold. Unfortunately it was lost and replaced with the above.

Take some time and read around on this and the several other forums that discuss alternatives as well as checking out the sources of these stone. You have started a crazy path that will turn you into a sparkle lover for sure! Most of us here could write a novel for you but you really need to do the research and also see for yourself which direction you would like to go.

[-]
  •
09-27-2015, 04:47 PM,
Oh yes and congratulations on your engagement too!

[-]
  •
09-27-2015, 05:25 PM,
Thank you both for your reply. I will look into your suggestions. I was under the impression to stay away from Moissanite...but I see that is untrue! I see I have lots of homework to do!
I was worried about buying on the internet...site unseen. Any advise? I have seen so many great reviews on Nexus and then many not...hard to know what way to go!!
(Thank you! We are both super happy and excited! 2 times a charm...)

[-] The following 1 user Likes stardust's post:
  • OoohShiny
09-27-2015, 06:07 PM,
Welcome and congratulations! How wonderful!

I'll just nod along with just about all that Brit said. Stay far away from Diamond Nexus labs. I'm sure there are PLENTY of people that are happy with their stones, but they don't truly understand what they're getting. If you want a CZ there are far better (and cheaper!) places to buy. Be aware though that you should only really expect to get 3-5 years out of a CZ. They attract dirt, scratch easily, and scratches allow them to cloud up.

I am personally a HUGE moissanite fan. The moissanite of years passed are gone-presuming you go through a dealer with a lot of turnover. A place like Schubach's, which sells a ton of moissanite, will have the newest and best material. It's far tougher than CZ, will not scratch easily, and doesn't fog. It also repels grease so it stays super sparkly longer than a CZ would.

There are new options popping up all over the place! I think my best advice would be to work with a trusted dealer, so that if you get a stone you aren't head over heels in love with you can return or exchange it. On that same note, if you haven't seen them together, it's worth ordering 2 or 3 knowing you'll return all but one so you can take a look at a couple of different stones and see what you like!

[-]
  •
09-27-2015, 09:21 PM,
Welcome!

I don't have much to add that wasn't covered by the other ladies. I just want to agree on staying away from Diamond Nexxus. Oh and I LOVE moissy! Smile

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-] The following 1 user Likes EarthDiva's post:
  • Glitzy
09-27-2015, 09:52 PM,
Congratulations! I love that you are both firefighters - that is so cool! Also agree with everything stated above... CZ can be great if you are very careful with your rings, but you probably won't save money in the long haul when you have to deal with replacing stones. (For earrings they are a good choice and wink has pretty stones.). I wouldn't buy from Diamond Nexus just because they are misleading (IMHO) about what their product is and isn't. True lab created diamonds are still pricey for a larger stone, but also an amazing and environmentally friendly option.

Moissanite and the Amora gem are both gorgeous. If you prefer something truly white I'd stick with the Amora, I'm not quite sure about the latest Moissy "Forever One" although it could be a great alternative, too. But C&C is known to be inconsistent with the cutting on their moissanite, where Amoras are more consistent due to the robotic cutting. Regular moissanite or forever brilliant will be warmer in color the larger your stone is, but in a 1 carat round those are also pretty darn white in most lighting. Schubach's, Wink, and AmcorDesign are all super fabulous and reputable to buy from and work with on your journey. Best of luck and yes, welcome!

[-]
  •
09-27-2015, 09:55 PM,
Also another thing to keep in mind when deciding on what type of stone is the shape. Fancy cuts like princess, radiants, pears, etc. will show more yellow tinges in moissanite, even forever brilliant treated, then rounds which face up the whitest.

[-]
  •
09-28-2015, 01:38 AM,
Welcome!
Broken record, but another strong vote for NO to Diamond Nexus. It isn't because I am a hater of CZ, it is that they over price them, and have been dishonest about their product in the past. (Not sure if that is still the case.)
I love my moissanites and would agree with Star to order a loose stone or two to see how you like them for yourself prior to setting. Schubachs are great at picking excellent stones. I am an OEC lover, but have heard the newer RB's are fab.

I get distracted by shiny things
[-]
  •
09-28-2015, 01:06 PM,
Thanks everyone! Would you recommend buying your ring and then having a stone added? If so where do you go for that? (for the ring) A regular rep jewelry store??