eternity band choices
[-]
  •
02-18-2013, 05:34 PM,
eternity band choices
As much as it stuns me, I'm looking at getting a next eternity band. I've been out of control with my jewelry purchases this year, and I totally blame all of you. Wink

I can't believe it, but Mr. Hadley said last week, "Go for it." Well, I can believe he said that, because he's very aware of our lack of travel in recent years and wants to sort of make up for it in a way. I guess what I can't believe is that I'm willing to do it, since I'm not one to spend like this at all. I've totally blown my own boundaries on that this past year, though. WOW.

Anyway, I'm kicking around my options and I'm opening it up to your opinions now. What do you think?

I stared off wanting a Moissy baguette channel set like this:

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

But then I learned that Moissy bags aren't step cut, they have criss-cross like facets that make me go "meh." Also, they're expensive little poops. I can't do CZ because it's too soft, and diamonds are too cha-ching and run me up against my ethical reservations.

So I went to choice #2, a channel princess like this:

I got a serious case of sticker shock with this one. If you consider my prong set round eternity the "zero" mark, this one is +$325 unenhanced and +$450 with Forever Brilliants. Basically it's almost double the cost. Ouch.

To alleviate some of that cost, I could do every other stone in lab sapphires, which are less than a buck a pop. But I think I want another all-white band for a good foundation piece.

My other reservation with this is that the smallest princess cuts available are 2.5mm, which makes a 4mm band overall, which is pretty wide for my stack. Nervous.

Poppyseed recommended this setting to me as a compromise:

I could get my baguette wish if I go with sapphires (Moissy doesn't come in the right size), and then get my Moissy sparkle from the rounds. This doesn't get me the simplicity of all white stones, but it's a great financial option at less than my current round eternity.

From Poppy's recommendation above, I found this, which I hadn't seen before on Adwar's un-user-friendly site:

I can do this for about the same cost as my round eternity if I use unenhanced Moissy marquise. If I use FB marquise, I up the cost by about $100. Moissy doesn't come in rounds this size (2 pointers / 1.7mm), so the rounds would have to be something else. I'm thinking lab sapphires in either blue for fun or white for continuity and simplicity.

Or I could bring this down to less than the cost of my round eternity by using marquise sapphires, the same way I could use bag sapphires above.

Are you still awake after all of that? Got any thoughts? I honestly don't know what I'm asking you -- ha! I don't have any specific questions, really. I guess I'm just sharing the process with you because that's what we do, enjoying the process together.

Sharp mind, soft belly.
Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
02-18-2013, 05:43 PM,
RE: eternity band choices
OMG, I love them all! I like 4, 1, and 2, most- in that order Smile

[-]
  •
02-18-2013, 05:48 PM,
I like the last 2 - with the very last my favorite.

[-]
  •
02-18-2013, 05:53 PM,
MS and Michele -- I'm also leaning toward the last one with Marquise Moissy. It's the most bang for the buck in Moissy and I like how it has the interest of curves without being too busy against my other stackers and solitaire.

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
02-18-2013, 05:57 PM,
Has anyone seen tiny Moissy in fancy cuts, specifically marquise or princess (not square brilliant)? Because this will sit right next to my pretty bright white 2mm rounds, and because I'm anal about color, I really need this next band to also be bright white. I'm not sure which logic applies here...

1) At 2.5 (princess) or 2.5x5 (marquise), they are so small that FB enhancement isn't necessary;

2) Princess and marquise cuts are so bad about showing color that even at these small sizes, FB will make a difference.

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
02-18-2013, 06:27 PM,
Well, clearly Idaho is out to get me. Look what she just listed. Baguettes and in my size.

http://diamondbistro.com/index.php?a=2&b=33532

If only the gold was yellow instead of white, I'd be sorely tempted to overlook my diamond reservations. Wink

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
02-18-2013, 06:44 PM,
Yea I laughed when I saw this.

[-]
  •
02-18-2013, 07:03 PM,
My vote is for #4 with the FB marquis stones.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
02-18-2013, 07:05 PM,
I was not going to say anything because of your diamond reservations. I like the last pic you posted because I have that same band from berricle and was wanting it in diamonds and 14k because I like it so much. It looks great next to my moissy cushion with the channel set stones. I like that it is not totally flat against the band.

[-]
  •
02-18-2013, 07:10 PM,
I know you love Amcor, but get a quote from DK too. He made a neat band for a bunch of ladies and quoted them in the $400 ish area, and that was with diamonds! Plus now he can source moissy. He made my mom's earrings for a ridiculous price.