11-17-2012, 01:29 PM,
Smile  in your opinion who does the best
Milgrain. schubys, amcor, dk?

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
11-17-2012, 01:37 PM,
RE: in your opinion who does the best
From what I've seen Schubys, if you go with their master gold smiths. I feel that if you go with their regular bench the migrain might be the same as DK. I've never really liked the look of Amcors milgrain.

[-]
  •
11-17-2012, 01:38 PM,
I kinda think when it comes to this kind of thing you really get what you pay for. IMO.

[-]
  •
11-17-2012, 01:48 PM,
I agree Kk. I was needing some input since Im new to all this. Than you for your opinion.

[-]
  •
11-17-2012, 02:26 PM,
I should add though that the only real experience I have with any of those vendors is Amcor, and my opinion of their craftsmanship on anything custom isn't good. But the vendors that amcor sell their products to speak for themselves, imo. Would you really want fine milgrain done by jewelers who make jewelry for Sears? Food for thought.

[-]
  •
11-17-2012, 03:55 PM,
Wait. Amcor sells to Sears????

I've done two custom projects with them and have been pleased both times. The ring they made for my friend last winter turned out great, and my bezel cushion and rubies turned out GREAT. My cushion/rubies ring was done by a newly hired bench guy and cost me a few bucks more, but it's not like it was double the cost or anything. Poppy hooked me up with the new guy because by then she and Alb had learned that I am... ummmm... picky.

Sorry, Ali, I don't have any milgrain experience to share. However, from the photos I've seen go by over the years, I do think that Schubach's milgrain is the most finely-tuned and elegant, and I'd put DK in second place.

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
11-17-2012, 07:02 PM,
(11-17-2012, 03:55 PM)Hadley Wrote: Wait. Amcor sells to Sears????

I've done two custom projects with them and have been pleased both times. The ring they made for my friend last winter turned out great, and my bezel cushion and rubies turned out GREAT. My cushion/rubies ring was done by a newly hired bench guy and cost me a few bucks more, but it's not like it was double the cost or anything. Poppy hooked me up with the new guy because by then she and Alb had learned that I am... ummmm... picky.

Sorry, Ali, I don't have any milgrain experience to share. However, from the photos I've seen go by over the years, I do think that Schubach's milgrain is the most finely-tuned and elegant, and I'd put DK in second place.

I'm glad you like your rings, I like them too. I just wish I had done some research before I went with one of their custom designs. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for stock settings, I just don't want anyone to have to go throughout what I went through.

Amcor design at Sears

[-]
  •
11-17-2012, 07:26 PM,
Considering I have milgrain from two of the above and seen pictures of the other, I will say Schubach's and DK's are similar and both done very well and finely. The other, as far as pictures go, is much chunkier and more obvious - almost more like beading style.

[-]
  •
11-17-2012, 07:29 PM,
I would tell DK that you want the milgrain done very finely, or it's possible that it could be left up to whomever does it and they might have a personal preference of not as finely done milgrain.

[-]
  •
11-17-2012, 07:58 PM,
(11-17-2012, 07:29 PM)Ginger Wrote: I would tell DK that you want the milgrain done very finely, or it's possible that it could be left up to whomever does it and they might have a personal preference of not as finely done milgrain.

Do you by chance have pictures you could share Ginger? DK did my ering, and it should be here soon!! I would love to work with him again on my band, but I would have to source my own stones I believe Huh Smile Im planning on a spring project and hopefully going to go with Schubys for that, but spring is a ways away.