kozibe & OEC analysis (I have too much time on my hands...)
[-]
  •
12-14-2013, 05:55 AM,
kozibe & OEC analysis (I have too much time on my hands...)
I am really missing miss Didi, the last time I saw her was in early October! Cry I've been OBSESSING over every last detail, and in the process learned a few interesting things.

so sometimes, in old cuts, you can get a "kozibe" effect from a smaller table and having the bottom cutlet reflect inside. or something like that! you can see it in these photos, as the little round lights:

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

it looks like a kaleidoscope, and I love it!

if you look at this video, Didi is the stone facing towards the back at the beginning. I picked her because of her smaller cutlet, I thought it'd be a nice change from my RB. and after learning about kozibe, I wondered if she'd perhaps have it...

at around 00:12, you can see these round lights flash very briefly:

I'm really excited wondering if this is the 'kozibe' effect! I can not see it in the other stone, and I'm replaying this video a lot haha. Hide

well, with all this burning curiosity and time to kill, I checked the table percentages;

stone 1:
49% table

miss didi:
42% table

stone 1 vs miss didi
side by side, the table difference seems huge, so I was surprised to find that stone 1 was <50%! from looking at the stone in the back, you can also see stone 1 has a shallower crown. stone 1 also appears to have chunkier rounder facets, while Didi seems more transitional (forgive me if I use horribly wrong terms, I'm not very technical).

after not seeing Didi for a while, I was having my doubts whether I picked the right one out of these two. I mean, I heard somewhere that Beth, who's seen a lot + had these in person, preferred stone 1. but after doing all this analysis I would still go with Didi, she seems to have more personality. I even love the slightly orange tint to her, though that could just be a trick of light.

they are both very beautiful stones though, and I'd be happy to own either! I wonder who bought the other stone... it's so cool there's such variety amongst same-cut moissanite!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
12-14-2013, 09:48 AM,
RE: kozibe & OEC analysis (I have too much time on my hands...)
OOOH wait, is that kozibe in stone #1?? more subtle, but I think it is!

took more screencaps of both stones at some favorite pastel rainbow moments;
top row Didi, bottom row stone #1.

I definitely, definitely see kozibe in Didi, and a more subtle version in stone 1. gosh they are both so pretty I wish I'd been crazy enough to buy both! Drool I mean look at that those pastel chunks in row 2, shot 2!!! in the future I definitely hope to acquire a fat round cut like stone #1, in a different color. there's never enough! LoveLove

(can you tell I'm going crazy?? miss didi can not return to me fast enough!! I am gonna go out of my mind obsessing here ahhhhh)

[-]
  •
12-14-2013, 10:07 AM,
Ahh, the wait stinks! I love this color and both stones are gorgeous. Looking forward to seing your finished product! Love the OEC and the chunky pastel flashes it gives off. So dreamy I can stare all day.
ETA I have too much time on my hands today too as I am snowed in. Gonna watch your video again! Haha

[-]
  •
12-14-2013, 10:16 AM,
@Sandeek your OEC is a perfect example of clear, round chunky facets! it looks very similar to stone 1 (I think!), except possibly even crispier. can you take any photos of a kozibe effect in yours? I would lovelovelove to see it! (or just more photos in general. always good heh heh)

[-]
  •
12-14-2013, 10:44 AM,
What exactly is kozibe again? Being able to see the open culet through the top of stone? I'm a bit of a newbie but totally besotted. I would love to take pics for you, just clarify for me exactly what I'm looking for please. Thanks.
And thank you, I love my stone, I lucked out as I bought it privately.

[-]
  •
12-14-2013, 10:54 AM,
Your stone is beautiful and I know the wait is terrible! I like them both and I am sure you will be over the moon when it gets back to you!

[-]
  •
12-14-2013, 11:14 AM,
@Sandeek
it's the reflection of the bottom cutlet seen through either the top or side of the stone. "kozibe" is apparently dutch for, literally, "cutlet visible in bezels". some people like it, some people don't! here's more examples, it took me a while to "get" what it was, too!

the above are all diamonds, btw.
below is one I found in moissy, from a poster on betterthandiamond:

notice the round facets that look like reflections from the bottom 'hole'?

there's many different appearances for kozibes... there are definitely some I prefer over others, but what truly astounds me is the variety when you get into it. this is why I like OECs more than modern cuts--the absolute choices!

[-]
  •
12-14-2013, 11:17 AM,
(12-14-2013, 10:54 AM)idahosubaru Wrote: ...and I know the wait is terrible!

@idahosubaru CryCryCry
thanks for your understanding words... I was doing really well until two days ago, when FIL asked me to confirm metal alloy and I kneew it was anytime nowww

[-]
  •
12-14-2013, 11:44 AM,
@mewt ok, that's what I thought. Thank you for the thorough explanation. Some people hate it though right? I remember reading over on pricescope that they call it fisheye as well?
Off to photograph, everyone is sleeping in during the snow storm...be back soon I hope with pictures of mine showing that, if I can. Smile

[-] The following 1 user Likes Slick's post:
  • mewt
12-14-2013, 11:52 AM,
@mewt This? Idk where the blue flashes comes from, I'm wearing magenta.
Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com![/u]