local moissanite retailers
[-]
  •
07-29-2014, 02:12 AM,
local moissanite retailers
Does anyone know of a brick and mortar store that carries moissanite on site in the Central Valley/Northern, CA area? I would like to see some stones in person, and I am not having any luck finding a store that carries them. I checked a few places from the location finder on moissanite.com; when I tried to get information about the stores, I found out they were closed. When I was able to get in contact with a jeweler listed on the website, he did not have any in the store. When I called a store in my area, the salesperson proceeded to tell me all about the disadvantages of moissanite, that I should do some research, that she didn't think any store in my area carries moissanite etc., then indicated she has diamonds of varying quality that I should consider, before I was finally able to politely end the conversation!

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-29-2014, 07:44 AM,
RE: local moissanite retailers
Unfortunately you are in the same boat as most of us. I will tell you the best way to see some moissanite is to just order some.

[-]
  •
07-29-2014, 08:40 AM,
^^^ yup! It is really not that much for shipping and it is worth it to see it or yourself.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
07-29-2014, 09:37 AM,
(07-29-2014, 02:12 AM)lovebezels38 Wrote: Does anyone know of a brick and mortar store that carries moissanite on site in the Central Valley/Northern, CA area? I would like to see some stones in person, and I am not having any luck finding a store that carries them. I checked a few places from the location finder on moissanite.com; when I tried to get information about the stores, I found out they were closed. When I was able to get in contact with a jeweler listed on the website, he did not have any in the store. When I called a store in my area, the salesperson proceeded to tell me all about the disadvantages of moissanite, that I should do some research, that she didn't think any store in my area carries moissanite etc., then indicated she has diamonds of varying quality that I should consider, before I was finally able to politely end the conversation!

I am also in NorCal and have not found any stores carrying moissanite. It has also been my experience that higher end brick and mortar stores are pretty snotty and simultaneously uneducated about all of the advancements in moissy. It is easy enough to order stones through any of our reputable board jewelers, so I'd go that route so you can check them out in person. Smile

[-]
  •
07-29-2014, 12:48 PM,
I understand, to an extent, why the stores don't want to have and display moissy or any other sim for that matter if their main inventory is in diamonds. I am sure that they make a lot more money selling a diamond that costs thousands vs. the average moissys which are in the hundreds. Think about it, if they were to all of a sudden put out all these lovey sims that look as good, and most of the time even better, than the diamonds they are or have sold. It would send a very confusing message. One guy also told me that it is an image thing. For example how would you feel if you were buying a Mercedes or BMW and that same dealer was selling Hyundai's and Daewoo's right next to them. Personally it would not bother me, but for some it would be a HUGE issue. I don't LIKE it but I understand it. I think it would be fabulous for them to embrace sims, but the honest truth is that they would sell less diamonds and that may not be the best for their bottom line and the image they want to promote.

[-]
  •
07-29-2014, 01:21 PM,
I don't really think they would sell less diamonds. The fact is, most people want a diamond, and I think most people would prefer a smaller diamond to a larger sim. Not here of course, but out "there". I think that sims are just not as well respected, and they are not seen a luxury items, where diamonds are. Jewelry stores are not just sellings rings, but they are selling luxury and extravagance, so keeping out products that are affordable for all plays into that . I know for Schubach's we happliy sell both, but some people see we sell sims as well and feel like that means we are less trustworthy or less luxury oriented. Not true at all, but it can be the perception.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
07-29-2014, 04:06 PM,
@Brit the funny thing is, many B&M jewelry stores display CZs in a lot of their new mountings because the cost to keep diamond inventory is so high, not to mention the liability. I honestly never knew that until I went browsing one day, and started asking about stone specs in a few mountings I liked, and she kept saying, "oh that is a CZ but we can get you any kind of diamond you want". Dodgy

@lovebezels38 I agree with others ... Order a couple in different sizes or types to see/compare them for yourself. It's really the ONLY way you will know for sure if you would be happy with the stones. I happen to love my moissy as much as I do my natural stones.

[-]
  •
07-29-2014, 06:12 PM,
@Brit the funny thing is, many B&M jewelry stores display CZs in a lot of their new mountings because the cost to keep diamond inventory is so high, not to mention the liability. I honestly never knew that until I went browsing one day, and started asking about stone specs in a few mountings I liked, and she kept saying, "oh that is a CZ but we can get you any kind of diamond you want". Dodgy

That's what totally blows my mind. That they display CZ, but then are quick to point out that they are for "display only". Super strange.

I encountered the same thing in SoCal (San Diego). Called around to a few places, and encountered snobbery and rudeness--and lectures on the advantages of diamonds. As if because I was considering a sim made me uneducated on the subject Toofunny

[-]
  •
07-29-2014, 07:15 PM,
@lovedogs - But it does make sense having CZ's in the cases to really reduce risk. No risk in a quick dash off or smash and grab robbery scenario. The only stores that I have been to that actually have real diamonds in the cases have heavily armed guards and a locked main door and you have to be buzzed or let in.

[-]
  •
07-29-2014, 07:35 PM,
(07-29-2014, 07:15 PM)Brit Wrote: @lovedogs - But it does make sense having CZ's in the cases to really reduce risk. No risk in a quick dash off or smash and grab robbery scenario. The only stores that I have been to that actually have real diamonds in the cases have heavily armed guards and a locked main door and you have to be buzzed or let in.

@Brit good point, that's true. I just hate being treated like an idiot for considering sims as something other than just a display. As soon as you mention anything about using sims for "real" and not display suddenly you get a lecture. It's just such an irritating attitude for them to have!