morganite
[-]
  •
11-07-2012, 06:33 AM,
morganite
Is morganite a good stoen to make a ring out of?? Is it one of those gemstones what need to be babied. I don't know much about gemstones so I'm hoping you ladys can help me.

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
11-07-2012, 07:04 AM,
RE: morganite
Morganite is in the beryl family (like aquamarine and emerald).
It has a low RI so it will not have the same look as a pink diamond or pink moissy, at all. It's pretty in it's own right, just don't expect rainbows to shoot off it.

It's ok hardness wise but it's a brittle stone so you need to take care of it - I wouldn't suggest it as an everyday stone.
Lots of stones from Brazil are irridiated...and I don't think people are sure the treatment is permanent and won't fade overtime.

Personally, I would try to look for a well cut light pink spinel, they are harder, they sparkle much more than a morganite, and can more easily be found in more saturated colors.

Synthetic morganite exists too and ppl try to pass it off as natural, just to confuse you further :p

[-]
  •
11-07-2012, 09:41 AM,
BMV thanks, I just saw one on the bistro that I thought was really pretty, kind of a light color. My little girl is really into gemstones right now, but I have no clue about them lol

[-]
  •
11-08-2012, 08:40 PM,
I had a beautiful 5 carat morganite that I was waiting to set and I dropped it on my floor the other day and a huge chip came out of it Sad

[-]
  •
11-08-2012, 11:32 PM,
awwww, that totally sucks!! I think Ginger chipped one of hers once too.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
11-09-2012, 01:00 AM,
I was mad but then I was thinking to myself, imagine if you had a big beautiful expensive emerald and you did that ??

I felt sick thinking about it.

[-]
  •
11-09-2012, 07:40 AM,
Oh no, Cat! I would be mad at myself too if that happened!

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
11-09-2012, 03:59 PM,
I did, I chipped a morganite stone by trying to tighten prongs myself because they were loose and I had already wasted money sending it back and forth to the same crappy etsy jeweler a few times a that point. lol Luckily, while his work was not great, he replaced the morganite for me free of charge. Smile

[-]
  •
11-09-2012, 08:06 PM,
Ginger, I almost bought your morganite ring, I think. But I found his tone via message rude and some of his work looked "messy" so I went with MoissyCo instead. Pretty glad I did after hearing your experience!