my diamond hunt
[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • moissypaws
09-28-2013, 01:19 PM,
Rainbow  my diamond hunt
As some of you know, I am working on something with a new diamond, so I can have "the one" ring. I want an ACC.

This is one option

GIA M VVS2, faces up bright and white, great spread, but a bit wonky. I am not sure I can handle the symmetry, or lack of.

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

real life shots, it looks more even though

I have a few more options, we are waiting on vendor pics.

The other choice I have is cutting my own stone. I used to love AVCs, but now I find the cookie cutter look boring, And the maltese cross is a little to in your face for my liking. So if I cut my own, I could have it look how I want. But, it is then not an antique and lacks that soul.

But, I do love the faceting of these.

this is what I am making.

thoughts on old cut vs new cut diamonds?

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like idahosubaru's post:
  • MicheleZ, moissypaws, stardust
09-28-2013, 01:23 PM,
RE: dilemma
I love the small amount of wonkiness in the first one. While I love the newer ones for what they are, the old stones are beautiful with their one of a kindness. But you have to be happy with it. The old stone does not look wonky at the perspective you will be looking at it on your hand. It is a gorgeous stone!

Heart

[-]
  •
09-28-2013, 01:34 PM,
I do love old cuts for that same reason! But I am having a hard time looking past the symmetry. It is hard to find such bright ACCs though, and I don't want to miss out... but don't want to regret it either, 3 months later when I see the "perfect" stone.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-] The following 2 users Like MrsK's post:
  • Enkay, sparkletiger
09-28-2013, 01:50 PM,
While I do think that stone is pretty... Personally, the wonky cut would drive me nuts. I think you are the same or else you would have snapped that stone up right away. My opinion is to keep looking. If you have no luck in your search, then opt for cutting what you want.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
09-28-2013, 02:03 PM,
(09-28-2013, 01:34 PM)jenncent Wrote: I do love old cuts for that same reason! But I am having a hard time looking past the symmetry. It is hard to find such bright ACCs though, and I don't want to miss out... but don't want to regret it either, 3 months later when I see the "perfect" stone.

Yeah, I would not (personally) cut a new stone to look old. I would wait for the perfect old cut. This may not be the one, but they come up now and again....you know?

I love a stone with history!

[-]
  •
09-28-2013, 02:05 PM,
just playing, but IF I did cut my own, I would probably do this. This would be with a mm difference between length and width, like 9.5mmx8.5mm.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
09-28-2013, 02:06 PM,
I am sorry, but the wonky cut is quite noticeable to me in the picture, the ring you are making is just....out of this world really. I have to agree with Mrs K that you have to find the stone that will be THE ONE and will make your heart flutter and not compromise otherwise you won't be totally happy.

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
Oscar Wilde
[-]
  •
09-28-2013, 02:25 PM,
I think old cuts come down to, are you a pattern person, or a sparkle person, or a antique-soul person? Antique soul person won't mind the pattern or less sparkle from a slightly wonk cut, kwim? Sparkle person will want sparkle (great cut) more than an antique-soul person. I've found through my trial and errors that it's best if I nail that down first. Too bad you aren't looking for an OEC, I know someone who has one! Big Grin

[-]
  •
09-28-2013, 02:38 PM,
No wonky wonky. Wait for the one.

[-]
  •
09-28-2013, 02:44 PM,
No wonky. I am coveting a canera cushion I can't afford.