need a moissy expert
[-]
  •
01-24-2014, 10:42 AM,
need a moissy expert
OMG..I am so disappointed.

Ordered a moissy forever brilliant, which arrived today. it is a princess cut.

Put the stone between my fingers, and it looks a definite yellow! Is that because it is picking up color from my skin. On a white background the color is much improved. Just worried I have got a dude here! Will it look white in a setting...or the same yellow I am seeing now?

thanks in advance Merlin

p.s. this is the first moissanite i have bought

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes LaLa's post:
  • sparkletiger
01-24-2014, 11:14 AM,
RE: need a moissy expert
I am not a moissy expert by any means, as I only have one, but I kind of felt the same when I received my FB OEC (as you can see in the thread I made about it here ). I was actually convinced I had received an unenhanced stone until I looked at it under the microscope at work and saw the FB engraving. I carried it around with me for a long time and looked at it in every kind of setting and light I could find, and that just showed me that people aren't kidding when they say moissy is a moody stone. In some lights it looks like an H and in other lights it looks like an L or an M. I've grown to love that about my stone, and now that it's set in platinum it looks even whiter. I actually prefer when it shows a little more body color now because it makes it look so much like an antique diamond.

It's my understanding that the princess cuts aren't the best looking cut of moissy either, and that they show more body color versus a RB or a cushion, but I have never seen one. Maybe if you don't love the cut, you could try a cushion? Not sure what to tell you. What kind of return policy do you have? If you have a little time, I would do what I did with mine and carry it around with you so you can view it in different ways, and definitely get a stone holder ring in the color of metal you're wanting to set it in because the metal will make a difference too. Good luck! Smile

ETA: Not sure if it looks yellow between your fingers because it's picking up the color of your skin or not, but mine always looked pretty warm when I held it like that too, so maybe that's what the problem is. Definitely get a stone holder ring so you can look at it up off your finger and see what the true color is.

[-]
  •
01-24-2014, 11:17 AM,
Everything Lala said. Setting will help, but it will always be moody. And princess cuts are one of the warmest moissy cuts.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
01-24-2014, 11:19 AM,
Im sorry Merlin...Jen is right...princess cuts are going to be much warmer.

I ADORE my OEC's and they are all unenhanced..or pink.....

any chance you would like a round or OEC??

[-]
  •
01-24-2014, 11:33 AM,
This is the main reason why I only buy RB. Body color really bothers me and it definitely shows up more in the specialty cuts. I was interested in an oval, but quickly changed my mind due strictly because of color. If it bothers you, it will always bother you. I find that I never really like something that I disliked from the start.

[-]
  •
01-24-2014, 11:35 AM,
I think with OEC's you expect to see some warmth. The stone is actually for my daughter who wanted to set it into a ring with micropave. so I am not sure the stone would work in that kind of setting, especially if it is going to be "moody". My youngest daughter has actually taken a picture of the stone, and it looks fabulous!

I'm going to upload for you guys to have a look at.

Merlin

[-]
  •
01-24-2014, 11:43 AM,
Merlin, sorry to hear you are disappointed with the colour of the stone.
I have 2 RB Moissies - 1FB and 1 unenhanced and both are bright and white. The unenhanced is actually whiter.
The OEC I got from Poppy 2 weeks ago in my bezel Yellow Gold setting though does not show any warmth at all. It has depth to it, but no warmth or buteriness whatsoever. I have been looking for it in vain for 2 weeks now, and there isn't any.
This is how it looks in overcast weather (just about to rain here, you can see how dark surrounding lighting is):
[img]Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com![/img]

In poor lighting it just looks duller and has less fire but never buttery/warm.
I am really over the moon with the OEC cut, maybe you should try OEC? I've hardly ever worn any of my RBs since I got OEC..

Edit: Just read your above post, so does your daughter like the stone? Looking forward to the pics!

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
Oscar Wilde
[-]
  •
01-24-2014, 11:53 AM,
RBs and princess cuts are vastly different in moissy. They are a totally different colour. I would recommend a cushion, or even the square brilliant.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-] The following 1 user Likes LaLa's post:
  • sparkletiger
01-24-2014, 11:54 AM,
(01-24-2014, 11:35 AM)Merlin Wrote: I think with OEC's you expect to see some warmth.

I'm pretty sure that in terms of warmth, OECs, RBs, and cushions are some of the least warm and princess cuts and radiants are a couple that show the most.

Would love to see the pictures! I haven't really seen a lot of princess cuts in moissy.

[-]
  •
01-24-2014, 12:03 PM,
OECs show a lot of warmth too, but it suits the cut, so it seems like more of a big deal.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers