setting height vs size illusion...
[-]
  •
07-09-2014, 05:05 PM,
setting height vs size illusion...
Talking today about erings and someone told me that low settings make the stone look smaller.
The beth solitaire is apparently v low and now im having a mini freak out
Cry Huh

Im already suffering visual shrinkage from forum stalking. My ring doesnt go into production until next week Hide

Honest opinions required please....

"Remember that wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure"
Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
07-09-2014, 05:13 PM,
RE: setting height vs size illusion...
I wouldn't say a low setting makes a stone look small, but I will say a higher setting makes a stone look bigger. The stone is sitting closer to the eye so it appears larger in size.

[-]
  •
07-09-2014, 06:03 PM,
^^^ I agree. The height will make it seem bigger, but low set it will look like how it is.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
07-10-2014, 03:07 AM,
Thanks @msformaldehyde & @jenncent whar youre saying makes sense. After a jewellery loving friend of mine said she hated low set rings as they looked squishy and didnt do the stones any favours. Thinks medium set is the best all rounder. She doesnt know anything about my ring and isnt the hurtful type just her opinion. It just made me nervous about my setting.
Its interesting though looking through threads on WB that face down 1.5ct RB stones solitaires on the same size finger can look so different in size! I'm wondering now if the setting height is a contributing factor for this?

[-] The following 1 user Likes idahosubaru's post:
  • Sparkledreamer
07-10-2014, 08:30 AM,
I have been looking at the vids of my OMB and in the stone holder it looks so big because it is sitting so high. I know it will look its normal size when set though. @Sparkledreamer it will be just right!

[-] The following 1 user Likes JooJooBee4's post:
  • Sparkledreamer
07-10-2014, 08:37 AM,
I think the setting you picked is a great one and it will showcase the stone!!!!

[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • Sparkledreamer
07-10-2014, 11:02 AM,
(07-10-2014, 03:07 AM)Sparkledreamer Wrote: Thanks @msformaldehyde & @jenncent whar youre saying makes sense. After a jewellery loving friend of mine said she hated low set rings as they looked squishy and didnt do the stones any favours. Thinks medium set is the best all rounder. She doesnt know anything about my ring and isnt the hurtful type just her opinion. It just made me nervous about my setting.
Its interesting though looking through threads on WB that face down 1.5ct RB stones solitaires on the same size finger can look so different in size! I'm wondering now if the setting height is a contributing factor for this?

I agree with that somewhat, but the Beth sol is not like that. It is so elegant and sleek. It is the prettiest low set sol I have ever seen!!!

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-] The following 1 user Likes stardust's post:
  • Sparkledreamer
07-10-2014, 04:17 PM,
high settings DO make the stone appear larger, but so do many other things. The setting really plays into it a lot. Band width, prong height (for lack of a better term), prong type, prong shape, and this is not to mention the size of the finger.

Honestly having had rings of all heights I find the lower set to be the most wearable. And the Beth is going to really enhance the stone based on the band width and the shape/type of prongs.

[-]
  •
07-11-2014, 03:17 PM,
Thanks idaho, JJB, JC & Star Smile i really love the ring too I just got a little unnerved by her comments as it was something i had just never given consideration to. Anyway I'm over my worry now, my fate lies beneath the Arizona stars and I just know it's going to be wonderful.

The irony is that i was only getting a 6.5mm then a 7mm and now I'm being greedy about the face up difference of a 7.5mm.... I need a cold can of get real!! Lol Wink *looks gleefully at ring finger like a child waiting for santa* Smile Smile

[-] The following 1 user Likes jenncent's post:
  • Sparkledreamer
07-11-2014, 03:41 PM,
well, can you just size up another .5mm??

Joseph Schubach Jewelers