sourcing a good sapphire...Chatham?
[-]
  •
09-26-2014, 07:24 AM,
sourcing a good sapphire...Chatham?
I have been madly in love with a ring for a long time ( lower right hand giant sapphire)....:
http://www.barmakian.com/images/sku/f/r_05_345.jpg
then I saw this:
https://leonmege.com/images/stories/virt...aac5e3.jpg
It didn't occur to me until recently that its the inside out, and on steroids, ( lots of steroids) version of my e-ring... I LOVE It,Stars and at least I'm consistent.
I've been considering how to create something similar with out becoming a jewel thief Angel and i'm curious about finding a good synthetic Kashmir sapphire to do it. I know the BTD carries them, I haven't had any luck ( yet) of finding a chatham sapphire that's loose ( guide me sparkle sisters!). Is there another alternative besides those two for an amazing deep blue Kashmir sapphire?
Here are my questions:

what size do you suppose the cushions are on the LM ring center stone is approx. 9mm?
what was the best experience you've ever had with making your own ring and who was it with ( and post a pic bc we all love those)
Platinum or Palladium - or do you think it makes a difference?
Do you think half moons or traps are better as sides for that monster of a stone? thoughts?
Maybe I should look for a light pink moissy and make a mothers necklace for my wee daughter instead ( using gingers beautiful ring iris and hella as inspiration * sigh* the trials and tribulations of being a sparkle addict are really arduous.Happyrun

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
09-26-2014, 07:50 AM,
RE: sourcing a good sapphire...Chatham?
Chatham sapphires can be sourced through pretty much any vendor. I know MoissaniteCo has their own line of lab sapphires somewhat similar to BTD. I'm not sure if Schubie's has their own version of lab sapphires, but I know they have beautiful emeralds!

I love that LM three stone! I think the LM proportions are 9MM center with 6MM sides!

[-] The following 1 user Likes Turks's post:
  • KTrencha
09-26-2014, 07:57 AM,
If you want it that vibrant, I'd also suggest looking for a synthetic blue spinel. They can be pretty spectacular when done well

[-]
  •
09-26-2014, 08:32 AM,
Schubach's does have their own line of sapphires. I have one. Wink Schubach's can also order Chatham for you.

I've had Chatham sapphires. They were small, because they were in a bezel band. The color was very pretty.

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
09-26-2014, 09:13 AM,
(09-26-2014, 08:32 AM)MrsK Wrote: Schubach's does have their own line of sapphires. I have one. Wink Schubach's can also order Chatham for you.

I've had Chatham sapphires. They were small, because they were in a bezel band. The color was very pretty.

can you direct me to any of your lovely pictures perhaps? Thanks!

[-] The following 1 user Likes MrsK's post:
  • KTrencha
09-26-2014, 09:32 AM,
Here you go!

http://www.thefacetlounge.com/Thread-Rosie-Blue

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
09-26-2014, 10:25 AM,
(09-26-2014, 09:32 AM)MrsK Wrote: Here you go!

http://www.thefacetlounge.com/Thread-Rosie-Blue

WOW! really spectacular ring, and nails! I would never have thought to pair the rose with the blue, but it is quite lovely, and looks wonderful on you. I know just what you mean about certain things "singing" from your jewelry box.

Was there something about this stone that really set it apart from others for you? Thank you so much for sharing it.

@ JooJooBee4 I think you are right, I was also guessing 5 or 6 mm sides!

[-]
  •
09-26-2014, 10:28 AM,
What stood out to me was the color of the stone. It's a bit different than other sapphires that I've owned. I still love that ring!