stone moodines
[-]
  •
01-14-2015, 11:16 AM,
stone moodines
Hi All. In my quest to find the right stone for my ring, I am discovering that, although there are some great moissanite stones out there, I may be a bit too color sensitive to have a moissanite stone in my everyday ring. So, with that said, I am leaning towards purchasing an amora gem. However, I am still concerned about some of the possible issues with these stones, including color. Do those of you with an AG find that you are having color issues with them, or do they stay consistently white in most lighting?

Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like jenncent's post:
  • lovebezels38, Ringo865
01-14-2015, 11:49 AM,
RE: stone moodines
I have not heard of anyone saying their AGs were moody. I think it is a safer choice for colour sensitivity.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
01-14-2015, 01:01 PM,
You can go with AG but if you go with moissanite (specify from the new rough) or FB order through Schubach. Their handpicked stones are a no brainer. Mine are just normal moissanite. The one carats are absolutely perfect, I feel there is no need for any further enhancement. I have a huge OEC (9.5mm) and there is some buttery color in certain rare situations but it really does suit the cut.

[-] The following 1 user Likes mmascall's post:
  • lovebezels38
01-14-2015, 01:02 PM,
@lovebezels38 The AG is a great choice if you are colour sensitive! It absolutely is not moody like moissanite can be.

[-]
  •
01-14-2015, 01:06 PM,
One of the things with moissy is that we all kind of see it differently. Not saying that someone does not see what they see, but I know even in my own case, my DH and and I see the same moissies totally differently, lol. And one of my DDs always describes moissy as green. She has done it since she was 3... she would ask "are you wearing the green one today, or the pink one?" Even if I never saw green, lol. It made me totally self conscious.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dancer's post:
  • lovebezels38
01-14-2015, 01:08 PM,
I have a G amoragem ultra and absolutely love it. It's so white, and in some lights just a tiny yellowish, just what I wanted. I wanted realistic rather than bright white and I think it's perfect. I too am color sensitive, but in the way that even a super bright non funky moissy bugged me, but the G amoragem doesn't at all.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Barlan's post:
  • stardust
01-15-2015, 07:03 AM,
I have bought and returned two Amora gems for different reasons. One was E/IF and the other was F/IF. They were both 10mm rounds. The first one just had no life to it. Perhaps I was expecting more and I was disappointed. I tried again, months later, and finally realized the stone was not for me. Although it had no noticeable body color, it did have too many colored flashes. It looked like a rainbow effect and certainly not like any diamond I've ever seen. The rainbow of colors was very distracting to me so I sent it back with that explanation. I then received a reply from the vendor that basically said that the AG did not look like a diamond and, if I was expecting that, naturally I would be disappointed. So, even a very reputable jeweler felt it was not diamond like. Moissanite may have it's own set of problems, but so does Amora gem, IMO.

[-] The following 1 user Likes AdaBeta27's post:
  • stardust
01-15-2015, 08:12 AM,
Just like Moissanite cutting techniques evolved over 10-15 years, probably the Amora Gem techniques will continue to evolve, too. Body color issue has definitely been conquered. Uneven performance from stone to stone is mostly what the gripes have been about. Right now, the rough is expensive to produce and not many players are in the game. More people getting into the business drives innovation and also drives prices down. It's a supply/demand thing, macro economics. Early adapters, as they are called, may find that later iterations of the product cost less and perform better. That's how technology and manufacturing work.

Just like diamonds, there are differences in individual Moissanites and I expect there will be differences between individual AGs. Cutters try to make the most of a piece of rough. Some stones will be a little more ideal than other ideals, same as with diamonds.

Size: Larger sizes will magnify the difference between diamond and any diamond simulant. If you are going to get a 10mm AG or Moissanite, I don't think you should expect it to look exactly like a diamond. Smaller sizes won't be so readily detectible.

Wink of High Performance Diamonds made 2 AG videos:
F IF 9mm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr6rEey9dm4
(color, clarity not stated) 6mm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5oSkI6B1o8

"rainbow effect": I don't know what the previous poster specifically meant by that. I have never seen an Amora Gem in person. I have seen diamonds, two of which are H&A superideals from Good Old Gold. Diamonds of excellent modern H&A cut certainly do throw a rainbow of colors, but I don't see a lot of pastels. Two possibilities that come to my mind re. AG "rainbow" are:

a) the "oily" look that I sometimes see in my Moissanites. It's like an oil slick in the way that it reflects a rainbow of colors but still manages to look a little, well, oily or greasy. That is the best term I can describe it with. If that is an inherent characteristic of polished silicon carbide and its crystal structure, you have to live with it.

b) pin fire that I mentioned in another thread discussing Moissanite vs. diamond. Pin fire probably comes from the cutting. I bought my first H&A GOG diamond around 2006 or 2007. At that time, whatever cutter GOG was buying from was producing a lot of diamonds that had more silvery arrows and in the Brilliancescope, those diamonds all had a unique glowing ring of pin fire at the edges of the table. It was a unique phenomenon that I only noticed during a certain timeframe of perhaps 2005-2008 or so. Later diamonds didn't have it. That "pinfire" diamond that I bought always looked bland to me.. In fact, I never mounted or wore it and I finally traded it back to GOG and got one with more contrast and big broad flashes of light from fatter arrows. I like the 2nd diamond much better than the first, which I truthfully was disappointed with from the moment I first saw it.

[-]
  •
01-15-2015, 02:31 PM,
Thanks everyone for your feedback!