telling local jeweler about moissy??
[-]
  •
11-21-2014, 04:17 PM,
telling local jeweler about moissy??
Hi All,
I've posted before about my engagement ring re-set, and I am FINALLY going through with it Smile I have an amazing FB OEC moissy that is going to go in my e-ring and replace the current center diamond. I am also going to have claw prongs instead of flat, which is something I've always wanted.

Since I have both the setting and new stone already, Beth from Schubach's encouraged me to use a local bench (since sending and insuring all pieces would be very expensive). I was nervous about it, but went today to see what they would say. The jeweler looked at the OEC with those glasses they use to do work (not sure of the name), and immediately said, "oh wow, this is an old cut diamond. Very beautiful". I didn't say anything to correct him, and he is ordering me a new head that will be the right size for the new stone.

The problem is, I am feeling guilty for not correcting him, and am afraid that if he treats it like a diamond during setting the moissy will get harmed. He is going to call me when he has everything, but my question for you ladies is: how do I tell him/do I have to tell him at all? I am worried about the snobbery I have heard about before, and of him just refusing to do the work for me if he knows it is a "fake" stone (obviously I don't share that opinion and love moissy, but I know some jewelers feel that way).

Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
11-21-2014, 04:40 PM,
RE: telling local jeweler about moissy??
I would definitely let your jeweler know the type of stone it is to make sure they don't use an excessive high heat that could damage the stone. Although moissy has a very high hardness, it is not the hardness of a diamond so not being clear about that up front could compromise your stone. If he happens to have an attitude about the stone not being a diamond and doesn't want to work your piece then honestly he isn't worth giving the time or business to! Good luck!

[-]
  •
11-21-2014, 05:00 PM,
Thanks @ JooJooBee4 !! You are definitely correct about that. When the head thing comes in and he calls I'll let him know. By that point he will have gone through the process of ordering it, so he'll be less likely to have an issue. He seems like a nice guy and it's a family owned business so it's entirely possible I'm worrying about nothing. Just wanted to get opinions from fellow sparkly-lovers Smile

[-]
  •
11-21-2014, 05:35 PM,
Yup. The amount of heat he could use will need to be tweaked. Since those stones are in short supply anyway, you'll want him to have all the info.

[-]
  •
11-21-2014, 05:39 PM,
he def needs to know what it is. The ehat is fine for moissy, but the same amount of pressure is not. It is more prone to chipping so he needs to be aware. But having a local person to do things is so much easier.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
[-]
  •
11-21-2014, 05:41 PM,
I thought the heat made it more susceptible to chipping-is that not the case?

[-]
  •
11-21-2014, 05:52 PM,
no, moissy cantake more heat than diamonds. It is the thin girdles that make it more prone to chipping... so tighting prongs with diamond pressure would not be the best idea. It needs to be treated more like sapphire.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
11-21-2014, 05:54 PM,
(11-21-2014, 05:52 PM)jenncent Wrote: no, moissy cantake more heat than diamonds. It is the thin girdles that make it more prone to chipping... so tighting prongs with diamond pressure would not be the best idea. It needs to be treated more like sapphire.

Interesting-I just went through my emails to confirm. Someone in the trade told me that the heat makes moissy more vulnerable.

[-]
  •
11-21-2014, 05:58 PM,
I am not aware of that. It could true, but my understanding that they can take more heat that diamond.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
11-21-2014, 06:03 PM,
(11-21-2014, 05:58 PM)jenncent Wrote: I am not aware of that. It could true, but my understanding that they can take more heat that diamond.

I'm not sure it *is* true, but it's one of those things where I read the response and was all, "Oh. Got it."

I knew it could take more heat, but the way it was explained is that you can apply heat all day without consequence, but then if you mess with it it doesn't behave the same way it would if you had let it cool down.

I would love to know if that's true.