what do you all think?
[-]
  •
02-10-2013, 02:55 PM,
what do you all think?
of resetting my original diamond ring and side stones to this?

Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

and here are the reasons why I want to...

1-my ring is 19k white gold. I wanted platinum initially but the jeweler talked me out of it saying it would be too heavy. But I like heavy, and I still wish it were plat.

2-my set spins and drives me insane. I wanted to add stones to the ring and band anyway to make them 3/4 and fill eternity.

3-my set was hand made by a local jeweler that was a "family connection". All of the Italians get all their jewelry from him. It IS well made, but honestly, it lacks the refinement that I now expect in jewelry, It looks a bit sloppy in parts to me, with some areas that are not polished well etc. I sound like a bitch, I know, but when I look at it upclose, I see "flaws". My other hand made pieces, from Schubbies, have "character" in the hand made details but is still really clean looking. Character is fine with me, but the less refined areas of the setting now bug me.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
please email jenniferc@schubach.com for quotes and inquiries
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
[-]
  •
02-10-2013, 03:00 PM,
RE: what do you all think?
I really love the that set....go for it! It is really beautiful.

[-]
  •
02-10-2013, 03:06 PM,
I love it. I think you should do it!

One day, I'll be a crazy old lady weighed down by all my baubles and it will be glorious.
[-]
  •
02-10-2013, 03:27 PM,
DH is not overly receptive to this. He said I can, but I think I hurt his feelings by suggesting it.

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
02-10-2013, 03:29 PM,
(02-10-2013, 02:55 PM)jenncent Wrote: Sparkly eye candy found at thefacetlounge.com!

This set is amazing. I was thinking of resetting my 8mm oec in something like this a few years down the line, maybe even foregoing a band? That's how great I think the ring is Smile

[-]
  •
02-10-2013, 03:30 PM,
Go for it Jenn!

Love the lines of this setting, the taper is so fluid.

I have always thought that if I don't get an FC taper one day, I will get one with RBs or OECs, and this looks very much like what I have seen.

I love it!!

[-]
  •
02-10-2013, 03:32 PM,
I wouldn't do it. To me there is something special about the original wedding set and engagement ring that shouldn't be touched. I'm not opposed to having multiple sets as tastes and preferences do change over time but I can see why he would be a bit hurt about it. There is a lot of sentimental value associated with the original ring.

[-]
  •
02-10-2013, 03:35 PM,
You have my blessing. Angel

When I see your original set, I think two things: 1) Beautiful! 2) The chunkiness and heavy prongs are unlike you. I mean that gently, of course. It isn't that your original set is manly and un-pretty, it's that it doesn't have a Jennifer-level of refined elegance found in the pieces you've designed yourself.

Oops, now I see your posting that Mr. C. is maybe hurt. It might be best to leave it alone then? That's a sticky wicket.

Sharp mind, soft belly.
[-]
  •
02-10-2013, 03:47 PM,
That is how I feel about I too Hadley. It is very pretty in real life actually, and it sparkles like mad. But up close, or in macro mode, I can't handle it. There is unpolished metal in the area where the head joins the cathedral... Insane I feel like a mega biotch saying that, but I see more than normal people. We all do! It lacks the perfection I need in metal work. DH says I can and he wants me to love it and he doesn't care. But I think he is lying a bit, but really does want me to be happy more than anything else. I guess I need to think more. I have brought this up before though, and keep coming back to it. I feel like have ripped off a band-aid part way.. so it can never be re-stuck again all the way. But it has only hurt a little so far, lol. If I rip the rest it will hurt more, but then we may all get over it. Huh

Joseph Schubach Jewelers
[-]
  •
02-10-2013, 03:59 PM,
I think that set is beautiful. Of course hubby's hurt feelings may not be worth it. Maybe as a compromise you could get the original set polished in the places that bug you and tweak it a bit to make you happier AND hubby. I know that doesn't fix the platinum issue, but that's what my brain came up with in this instance. Not much lol!